Monday, March 26

A Means of Grace

I often forget the abundance of God's grace. He has provided for my every need, and beyond that He has given me most every comfort. I could never thank Him enough first for the work of Salvation in my life, but then for all the things He takes care of for me. He loves me, and I just can't get over it.

One of the most incredible means of grace that He has provided for me is fellowship with His church. Yesterday I couldn't go to church because I had a bad spell of the flu. I missed the preaching. I missed the Psalm singing. I missed the love and care of my brothers and sisters in the Lord. What a gracious gift He has given. How can we forget? There are times I even complain about people in church, or find myself wishing that I didn't have to serve the way Jesus commanded. How foolish of me! Coming together for worship on the Lord's day is a duty truly, but in a real sense it is not. Christ has freed us from the law, and a person can go to Heaven without attending church every week. It's possible. The trouble comes when we realize that attending church is a privilege of the Christian faith. Like all the other commandments of the Old Covenant, it transferred from law to grace. Now it is God's means of grace in our hearts and lives. We get to go and worship Him with our brothers and sisters. This morning we get to feel refreshed because yesterday was the Lord's day and we were privilege enough to hear His Word preaches and to sing His praises back to Him.

What a glorious life. It is not all easy, and often these gracious gifts can feel burdensome, but I would remind you who it is that you are serving. If you are serving Christ, then is it truly a hard burden? Is He a cruel Master? Has He laid on your back too much to carry, or is that your own doing? Jesus promised, "Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Jesus was referring to this principle, of the law no longer being a burden but rather a delight. For He "no longer calls us servants, but He has called us friends." We are His friends; the friends of God Himself. Is it a burden to pray, to talk to Him? Is it a burden to read what it is that He has said in His Word? Then we must be reminded. Let us remember what He has done, and who it is that we serve, and then surely we will delight in His work.

I struggle with this as well; please don't get the wrong idea. I just wanted to write my thoughts out so that perhaps others may benefit from them as well. Thank you.

May God be glorified.

2 Comments:

At 4/01/2007 9:28 AM, Blogger Charity said...

amen. I love fellowshipping with His saints! It's easier to see what a gracious gift this is when I have to spend more time with non-believers throughout the week. These provide great oppertunities to share my hope with people and invite them to church and stuff (though no one has said yes...yet), but it is still a bit discouraging. And I just love getting to the Lord's Day and being able to worship God with like-minded believers.

Thanks again for your encouragement, Becca! Oh and thanks for trying to give Beth a smack for me. She really needed one. ;)

Love you.

 
At 4/03/2007 1:29 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Thanks for reminder! Your posts are so encouraging! There so many times when I go through the day thinking about how hard doing all my homework is and how hard life is in general and I forget how easy Christ's burden truly is! We are so blessed to have such a Saviour!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home