Tuesday, February 27

Memorize

Memorizing is an interesting concept. I have several things to memorize right now, and my brain defiantly feels overloaded. It's gotten to the point where I bring a folder of material to memorize with me everywhere. Yesterday I was about to sit down to go over my speech one more time, and my little mind requested that we do anything but memorize, so I read a Pulliam book instead. It was like a treat to read instead of memorize.

Memorizing is mental weight lifting. You do the same thing, saying it out loud over and over again, and at some point you have to stop because you're about to die. When you hit your breaking point you set it down, and move on to something else, but a day later, it's much easier to do the exact same thing, and your breaking point comes later. It's an interesting concept.

At the moment I'm rememorizing my Right to Life speech, all the lines for my part in The King and I, our Bob Evan's menu abbreviations, and Matthew 5. The difference in all of these is interesting. My mind picks up the lines best, because it's a dialogue. The speech is different because I wrote it so every time I review it I feel compelled to be on the look out for improvement, so I am constantly marking up the work I'm memorizing and making it more difficult to recite for the next time. The menu is fairly easy because usually they are obvious like Homefries are H in the Homefries section, but then some are totally odd, and it gets a bit confusing. The Scriptures are my favorite but the most neglected. My brain doesn't tire so quickly when I memorize the Bible, and it's because it is energizing to recite the Word of God. "Men shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God." Sadly, I get my priorities mixed up, and I don't tackle my Scripture memory the way I should.

Alright, all this to say I should be working on other things, thanks for listening. What are you memorizing in the Bible right now? Have you worked on it today? You should, it's not healthy to starve yourself.

2 Comments:

At 2/27/2007 8:26 PM, Blogger Flo said...

Oh my lanta, Becca, I feel the same way...though I doubt I'm memorizing as much as you. However, I've been learning to write things down on a piece of paper and stuffing it in my apron so that every spare moment I have at work can be memorizing Spanish, Hebrew, or Ephesians! Ok, so we really need to talk soon! I love you and I hope that you have a fantastic day! love ya!

 
At 2/28/2007 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear you are working on your speech. That is coming up soon.

I am also glad I am not required to memorize all the things you are working on. Although you chose to get into all these wonderful activities and they will benefit you in the end.

Keep up the good work. By summer it will be all over and you will not know what to do with yourself.

No worries. Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home