Tuesday, July 15

An Update

I am sitting in my tiny room writing a blog post to publish tomorrow on my night off. At the moment my temple is throbbing because I hit it hard on the corner of the door when I hopped us to get Amber’s hat from Alfonse. I have a huge knot at the end of my left eyebrow and the skin of my cheek bone is broken and burning. *sigh* I had no idea being a camp counselor would be sacrificial. Lol. In a lot of ways I am proud of it. I am not really the accident prone type, so when I do get a “battle wound” it makes me feel good inside. There’s something very honorable about occasionally taking one for the team. Even though, most of the time I am taking it for myself not the team, but that’s ok. You know what I mean.
I was wrong when I said I was working with middle school age kids this week. My girls are 9-11 years old and grades 4-6. There are seven of them, and we are getting along well. Last night we went out to look at the moon during devotions. It’s been cool because I have been using some of the things I learned last year in my education classes. It’s sorta obvious, but we remember information better when it is associated with an experience or sensation. Last night we were talking about how God created everything- “and it was good”. I had them all walk outside, and we were in the forest so it took a second before we could all see the moon through the trees then we read Psalm 8. It was really quite inspiring. I couldn’t tell if they enjoyed it, but then this morning as we were walking to breakfast Maddy said, “this is where we found the moon.” God has given me encouraging girls this week.
I am noticing that I am more of a touchy feely person than I realized. Aside from the fact that the love language test says that physical touch is my second strongest love language; I find myself drawn to the campers that want me to touch them often. Most of my girls this week sort of avoid physical contact, but Maddy and her sister Ryen (who is in Lorna’s cabin) frequently come up and nestle their head against my side. I love that. Physical touch is so powerful, and it’s weird for me because my family isn’t super touchy, but I like it more than I realized.
God has been especially faithful to me this week. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is my great-grandmother’s funeral. She was 96 years old and still living independently in her own home. I am really disappointed that I can’t be at the funeral. I am glad that she died, because she was ready, and I believe she was a Christian. I just wish I could be there to celebrate and honor her life. I suppose I can do so from Groton, MA this evening though it will be lonely.
Earlier today I was feeling rather sick, I mean I have a sore throat and I was all congested. My girls were all concerned for me and we have all been praying that I will get better. So far God is being gracious in to us in this way also. He takes such great care of me.
Today in chapel I got to share about love. It was wonderful because I love talking about God’s love. Seriously, I don’t think there is anything that get’s more excited than sharing the greatest love story of all time. Last week I got to do the same things with the Special needs chapel. “By this we know love, that He lay down His life for us.” Then we start reading through John 19 which is the crucifixion of Christ. It is powerful. I felt sorta bad because I didn’t really try to catch their attention with any creative props, but then I was reminded that it wasn’t my presentation that mattered. There is power in the Gospel and the Holy Spirit is the one that will work. It is so comforting believing the truth.
Well, I should get some sleep. Last night I went to bed the second I put my girls to bed, which was about 9:30. Now I am fading fast because it’s 10:31. Lol. Seriously, thanks for your prayers. I need them so much. May the God of peace guard your heart and mind in Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home