Tuesday, December 7

love, life, and the like

Love is not an easy thing to do. What is frusterating about the English language is that we don't have four or five words for the word 'love'. We have one. In the dictionary love means to desire someone, or to have a great affection for. It can mean to enjoy and like something rather shallow, or it can mean the action God took towards man, all wrapped up in the same word. God defined love. It isn't a feeling or an emotion. If it were, then I think it would be easier to show it. I am a very emotional person and love doesn't come naturally.
I heard this song once, that said that love was not a feeling, but an act of the will. I agree. To really love someone it isn't like an underlying emotion that pulses through a person every moment. It is better discribed as a act. Love is the things we do. When I am being pateint I am loving. When I responding kindly I am loving. On the other hand when I react in anger I am not loving. etc etc.
When we really love someone it doesn't matter what they do, nor what they look like. Who they are with, or what they say have little consequence. This is best demostarted by Christ. We were the most discusting beings before He saved us. He loved us with an everlasting love that is abloslutly the most undiscribable thing. We hated Him. He loved us. Jesus didn't walk around Isreal thinking mushy gushy thoughts about His people. He loved them. Love is like the life. Every love has a story... and without God there would be none. God is love.

6 Comments:

At 12/07/2004 11:48 PM, Blogger Jeremiah said...

Bravo!

 
At 12/08/2004 10:21 PM, Blogger erudil said...

Good essay. One question: you say, "I am a very emotional person and love doesn't come naturally". Could you please explain that? It seems (to me) that you're almost contradicting yourself 8^D

 
At 12/09/2004 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She said that love wasn't an emotion. She then is backing up this statement by saying that she is a very emotional person, but love doesn't come easily for her. Thus it is a mindset or state of being almost not an emotion. It made perfect sense, no contradiction there.
~Margaret

 
At 12/09/2004 4:46 PM, Blogger erudil said...

Of course, Margaret. Thanks!

 
At 12/11/2004 4:13 PM, Blogger Katie said...

umm, couldn't your profile use correcting? I thought you're now the oldest of 12!

 
At 12/12/2004 11:45 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Nicew work. True love is something only existing in lives that know the love of Jesus. Jesus said that all men will know that you are my disciples because you show love one to another. It is incredible to think about it. I have a tendency sometimes to think that I must do good or look good, go to church even preach the gospel to prove to men that I am a disciple of Christ. The fact is that people who are not redeemed do all these things. But the one thing that cannot be counterfiet is the love of Christ in our lives. it is unmistakable and unique and penetrates through the strongest walls of hate, bitterness and pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home