Wednesday, April 4

A Book Review

When Crickets Cry Charles Martin

A boat maker, incapable of shedding the habits of his past life, buys some lemonade from little Annie on the street one day. Moments later, after a horrible car accident he is tearing off her yellow dress to get a closer watch of her heart. He straps on his heart monitor, and keeps Annie alive until the meds arrive. He is now faced with the decision of a life time, well two life times, his and Annie's.

Annie needs a new heart.

Reece is a heart surgeon, but he left the practice five years ago. He is one of the most skilled physicians in the world when it comes heart surgery. Yet, his past haunts him, and he refuses to return to the practice.

The book reviews the life of Emma. Her love and her desperate need for a new heart were the sole reasons that Reese became a heart surgeon. When he lost her he lost his motivation as well.

When Crickets Cry is a excellent book about God working all things together for good for those who live Him and are called according to His purpose. I also learned some things about the human heart, and the importance of taking care of the body God has given me. It gave me more reasons to be thankful for the health that I have had all these years. I also know better how to pray for those who have heart trouble.

Read it and tell me what you think. It made me cry, but it made me think as well. It’s challenging to realize that God does not just plan out one purpose for us, but thousands of purpose, and when I get focused on just one, He often has to take it away in order for me to realize the importance of His glory and Kingdom.

4 Comments:

At 4/05/2007 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this book!

I really liked the part about Charlie and how he could see though blind, and Reese who couldn't see, though his eyes were fine.

Annie was unswerving in her faith. Whether she gets healed or not is not the issue for her. She knows of God's goodness and faithfulness. For Annie that is enough. Anything more is a bonus. It would be a great summer read. I recommend it to you all.

Mrs. Long

 
At 4/05/2007 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I could have said mom....oh well I got caught up in remembering.

 
At 4/17/2007 9:27 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Umm yeah. You two could have warned me to read with a box of kleenexes. I haven't even gotten much further than the half-way point. Oh... and it would have been a good warning to not read it in public :)
But wow. What a stunning work of ... art. It is so captivating, thought provoking and heart wrenching.
Thanks for the suggestion

 
At 5/14/2007 5:43 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

It was an amazing book! The best I have read in a very long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home