Friday, July 7

an interesting conversation

This afternoon our team went to a local park to pass out more VBS sheets. I walked over to a woman who I thought was a likely prospect. She had two little boys and she appeared to be new to the area.
As I started my small explination for the invitation I gave her and she looked at me and asked if the church met for worship on Sunday. I of course told her we did, and the next fifty minutes were spent in accusation. She asked me for my Bible, and began to read out dozens of passages that have to do with worship on the Sabbath day (Saturday) and how Jesus celebrated the passover and on and on. I may have been able to give a good answer, but she won't let me speak a word. She honestly would not let me talk.
All along my team thought that I was sharing my testimony with her because she had a huge smile on, and the Bible was out. They thought that when I got back to the table I would be totally excited about the things we had discussed. Instead I walked over about to cry. I haven't felt so attacked like that before. She said things like I shouldn't ask my pastor about this stuff because he will lead me astray. Yeah, she used the passage in Matthew where Jesus says "Many will say 'Lord, Lord we did many works and propheys in Your name...' and I will say, 'I never knew you.'" She said, "You see, men like that are not saved." I looked at her for a half a moment, and then she began to read another passage about the passover, and how we should continue to take it, and I had never said we should or shouldn't, she just assumed.
I was very upset, and even more frusterated. She would not shut up. She would ask me a question and then answer it herself. She didn't care to hear a word I had to say, or to try to understand my opinion. I just sat, and listened, and would calmly talk if there was a moment to speak. I tried to encourage her Bible studying. She told me she goes to a Church of God, and that I can come any night of the week because they study the Scriptures from 5-12pm.

I learned several things from this experience. First off, I never want to sound like that woman. There have been times where I have felt like just blowing through passages like that to convince people that they are "wrong." It does no good. In fact it is a horrible way to win someone.

Throughout the whole conversation all I wanted to do was say, "Lady, if you're a Christian why haven't you read the passages about being gracious, and kind, and loving people the way you love yourself?!" I didn't.

I also learned that there are several things I don't have good answers for. I admitted to her that I didn't exactly know where in Scripture God shows us that we need to worship on Sunday. I just knew that it was because Jesus was raised on the first day of the week, but she used some passage in Luke to refute that, so I am going to find out answers to these things. I am going to read and study the reason behind what I do that much more now that I have talked with her.

Please, if you ever talk with someone about your faith, listen to them before you blast them with your knowledge.

Well, she won't be coming to VBS, but we have had several good responses, and I am very hopeful. Please continue to pray that God will send people to the VBS next week, and that hearts would be changed.

3 Comments:

At 7/08/2006 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little One,

You encountered someone difficult, at least for you.

Why was this so?

Was it she or thee?

I suspect you both had problems.

It would be nice if all the square pegs fit in all the round holes, they do not - and they never will.

Better to ask - Did the sun shine, was the sky blue, did I hear birds singing praise, were the bees busy, did my heart pound, was I ....was I alive and thankful?

Snapping out,

d

 
At 7/08/2006 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Wow, how exciting that the Lord is teaching you so much. I will miss reading your blog and your emails but I will be praying for you and rejoicing with the body.
Love, Mom

 
At 7/10/2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

I'm praying for you. I love you and miss you like crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home