Wednesday, August 10

what great people have said of friendship

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
- Donna Roberts

"Thy friendship oft has made my heart to ache: do be my enemy for friendship's sake."
- William Blake

"A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"It is more shameful to distrust one's friends than to be deceived by them."
- Duc de la Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)

"Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
- George Washington (1732 - 1799)

"Always, Sir, set a high value on spontaneous kindness. he whose inclination prompts him to cultivate your friendship of his own accord, will love you more than one whom you have been at pains to attach to you."
- Samuel Johnston (1709 - 1784)

"Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant."
- Socrates

"Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together"
- Woodrow Wilson

"Misfortune shows those who are not really friends."
- Aristotle

"Never injure a friend, even in jest."
- Cicero

"A true friend stabs you in the front."
- Oscar Wilde

"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
- Mark Twain

"The friendship that can cease has never been real."
- Saint Jerome

"My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me."
- Henry Ford

"The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this?"
- Henry David Thoreau

"I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, but with the roughest courage. When they are real, they are not glass threads or frost-work, but the solidest thing we know."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 Comments:

At 8/11/2005 4:36 PM, Blogger erudil said...

Often, when people post a series of quotes, I find it somewhat pointless. However, you have a knack for selecting great series of quotes. Thanks!
Just two notes:
• Why are there dates on Rochefoucauld, Washington, and Johnston, but on no others?
• Why is a quote about never hurting friends followed by a quote about stabbing?

 
At 8/13/2005 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find all of those?

 
At 8/13/2005 10:45 PM, Blogger Becca said...

questions questions questions goodness boys.

Ok firstly the dates are on those quotes that already had quotes when I got them.
Second, Margaret was correct in saying that I don't necessarliy agree with all of these. Though, I see truth in them. Therefore, I can see why it's true that you should never hurt a friend even in jest. Yet, at the same time, when one does "stab a friend" which is on occation necessary, than it's best to do so in the front, rather than the back.

John, I don't remember where I got these. It was the first friendship quote sight I ran into on google. Sorry I don't have more information.

 
At 8/14/2005 6:58 AM, Blogger erudil said...

I'm not expecting you to agree with all of them; it's just that the placement of those two seemed unusual.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home