Monday, November 7

I can't stop talking about Him...

You know how, when you're in love with someone, or at least really really love someone, (mostly because I don't know what it's like to be in love with someone, so I don't feel I have the qualifications to write on the topic, but at any rate.) You really really love someone, and you are continually finding out small things about them. Things you either forgot, or never took the time to know, or were never revealed to you until now because of how intimate they were. I could come up with a million examples of my family, and how I find out little new things about them and than want to share them with the world. It's crazy; I can't stop talking about Keziah at work, or church or anywhere! That’s the way it should be with God. I mean, that I have known Him forever, but I am constantly finding out “new” things about Him.

Although I guess I started this out with the inlove idea for a reason, because it is a better analogy. You know how a girl (or guy) that is just married cannot stop talking about her husband? I mean like literally every other word they say is about the person, or at least in reference to something that relates to them. It's so funny it's almost incredible.
The same analogy is made with us and Christ. We are inlove with Him. We are infatuated with Him, and yet would the people around us be able to tell? How freaky would it be, if you got to know someone “really well,” and then like after months of hanging out together or whatever they mention that they got married four months ago to Jane, and you had never heard him speak the name “Jane” in all the time you had spent with him. Not one reference. That just isn't right. Yet, how often, do we hang out with people and they have never heard us mention the name of Christ Jesus. Not even refer to Him as our Lord and Loving Master?!

It's so obvious when people are first married. I can practically declare them a newly wed with one glance. The same should be so with us. When people just get a glimpse of us, just one moment of interaction, they should know that we are His. It could be in how we care about them. It could be in how smile. It could be in how we treat those around us or how we deal with a not-so-great-situations. Whatever it is, we should be living the life of Christ. Taking up His cross, and encouraging others to do the same.

Ok well, I have learned from this insight and will ask God to give me a spirit of graciousness and joy; that I would be a testimony of His love and faithfulness. It's true that a fifteen second interaction with a smile and greeting can radically affect a person's whole life. I know that because it's happened to me.

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord." Colossians 3:23

8 Comments:

At 11/07/2005 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to be the pessimist, but I'll go ahead. I know this guy that talks and talks and talks about his girlfriend. He is so hung up on her that he can't even live his life. He doesn't make that many friends, and doesn't seem to care to, because he has his girlfriend who he can talk to for 2 hours a day. It's like "Jane" this and "Jane" that. I want to tell him to get over himself already, but at the same time I don't want to hurt him. I'm not saying by any means that it is possible to talk to much about Jesus. I'm asking. Is there a line?

 
At 11/07/2005 10:15 AM, Blogger Becca said...

Now John, if you really hated being a pessimist, than you wouldn't go ahead.

*Smile*

No, you're right. There is a line. When I wrote this post last night I thought about saying something about the people that go overboard and constantly talk about Jesus.

You know the answer to your own question. I think that a good way to find that balance is to look at how often Jesus talked about the Father. They obviously have the ideal relationship and unity. Christ Jesus didn't ALWAYS talk about the Father, but He did very often. Even just is "passing," you know?

Tell us where you think the line is?

 
At 11/07/2005 4:47 PM, Blogger CFchampion said...

totally true... great post! you got a boyfriend girl?

 
At 11/07/2005 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I really like your point Rebekah. I never thought of it that way. I don't think the line is perfectly clear. I think it kind of depends on which people you are around. For example, I can pretty much talk about Him as much as I want when I'm around you or most other church people without fear of annoying them; however, when I'm around people at school, it is still important to speak of my relationship, but maybe more important to try to live a consistent life. Does that sound reasonable?

 
At 11/07/2005 10:40 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Marge, thank you for you insight on the matter. I think around unbelievers I tend towards the side of not saying enough, not saying too much, but it's true that the goshy mushy types of people, can really turn me off about God.

Joey, how are you? Thanks for dropping by, and no, I do not have a boyfriend.

John, what you say sounds very reasonable. There is a specail unity the brethen have in Christ. With it comes freedom to speak of Him without hesitation. I know what you're saying about talking about God with other Christians all the time. I do that too.
When I'm around the lost, I suddenly check every thing I say, almost to the point where I am afraid to mention His name. I don't want to be seem goody-goody, and I don't want them to think I'm... judging them. It's wrong of me to hold back so much. Because it's a beautiful thing to know of the love of God, and those people, they don't know it.

In Colossians 4:5-6 Paul says something to a group of believers that really echos what you were saying, and yet may also answer some questions. It's concerning interaction with the non-Christian:

"Conduct yourselves wisely toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."

I think here he means that we should always be looking for the best way to express Christ's message when we are around lost souls. We should remember that people are all going to react differently. The end of the verse that says "how you ought to answer each person," I think implies that there isn't a clear line here. That we need to "make the best of the time" spent with them, and be gracious as to prompt questions about God, and always look for the best thing to say, and do.

What does the "seasoned with salt" mean? I really don't know.

If anyone finds more Scpriture references to bring up in this discussion you are beyond welcome. I know I don't have to say that, but seriously I would like to learn more about what God has to say about this. Keep your eyes open. I may periodicly add a verse or two, because the Bible is packed with answers.


What do you guys think?

 
At 11/07/2005 10:41 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Ok that was the longest comment ever. I'm a nerd. Sorry. Please read it though, because I really want to know what you think.

 
At 11/08/2005 12:33 AM, Blogger Jeremiah said...

Excellent post Becca. Very well done.

Matthew 5:13 says "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men."

Mark 9:50 "Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another."

You know how we use salt to season our food? Well these verses are analogies of how we are supposed to be to the earth.

Because of Jesus Christ shining through us, we are seasoning the earth. If we don't allow Christ to control our lives, we lose our savour. What good are we to the earth without Christ?... "It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men"

Hope I added a little insight on the subject of salt. =)

 
At 11/08/2005 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I just wanted to say I had a great time with you today! :) I mean I know we were still at work an all, but having you around just made my day! And thanks for Mr.Spanks! lol! How is the Mrs.? haha! I will see you saturday! Good luck Thrusday, you will do fine!
Shelly :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home