Sunday, August 12

Lovely Lord's Day

I woke this morning with Sam calling me. I found myself next to a sleeping Keziah. I remembered that it was the Lord's Day, and I remembered that I needed to go make coffee. I came downstairs and got caught up with my mother. I don't know what I am going to do when I live somewhere else. We spend most of our time at home discussing everything. It's normal to me, but my friends find it unique.
I got myself ready and to church five minutes before nine. Ken Smith was sitting on his porch as I drove into the church parking lot. He bid us good morning and I thanked God for him. What a blessing!
Coffee Fellowship was not well attended. I entered Sunday school a few minutes early and made a plan with Mrs. Smith to meet with her this Thursday. She is wonderful and it will be good to talk with her for an afternoon.
We have learned so much about evangelism and discipleship in the last few weeks. I have enjoyed going out with Gary and Jennifer each Friday and the Sunday morning classes have only encouraged my desire to continue evangelism when I go to school. The Gospel is so important. It takes practice... but it's worth the time.
Worship was incredible. I cried. Mom asked me why, and I said I didn't know. It was sorta of a lie. I know that it had to do with the fact that I am preparing to be sent out. I am leaving my congregation. I won't be worshiping them this semester. It also had to do with the fact that God is getting a hold of my heart in a new way. It's hard to explain, so I said I didn't know.
He explained the parable of the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price. In both cases the man in the story "sold all that he had" to gain the treasure. I was reminded of the cost of discipleship. I must surrender all that I love, all that I am, all that I know for Christ. He is supreme. He is in control. He is King. I must trust Him.

We came home and celebrated Keziah's 3rd birthday. It was great fun. I decided I would spend the afternoon at the IMA talking with Jesus and preparing for Communion. I walked over there and began to read Acts 20, and when I had read it I had to read Acts 21 and then 22. I am sure I have read it before but I didn't remember the story of Paul in Jerusalem and how God rescued him. It was really exciting. I began to pray. After several minutes I heard a male voice address me. I looked up and there sat a biker. He was sweaty and asked me something about whether or not I was hot. We small talked for a few minutes about the weather and whether or not biking is hotter than sitting. I picked up that he wasn't planning on moving on when he asked if he could come and sit with me for a while.
*RED LIGHTS*
1.) He is a stranger
2.) There is no one in sight/hearing distance
3.) I was spending time with God
4.) He was disgustingly sweaty
5.) He was at least 30

I looked up and said, "I am out here praying because I am a Christian and tonight we have communion."
Something clicked because he didn't sit down next to me, but we did get into a discussion about Christianity. He said he wasn't apposed to Christians. He grew up Catholic but he was very convinced that Catholics and Christians were very different. It was an interesting discussion. I shared the Gospel with him several times throughout our talk. He said he was ok with what I believed. I told him it didn't matter if I believed it or not. It was true regardless of people's belief. We began to then discuss truth. We talked for half and hour, and ended with him comparing God's general revelation to mother nature. I did a fairly unimpressive God of pointing out the differences. It was interesting.

I began to pack up and asked him his name. Dan. Dan needs prayer. He stopped to hit on me, which didn't work, so instead we talked theology and philosophy for 30 minutes. He road away muttering how odd it was that he had such a talk with a girl out in the middle of no where, and thankful that at least what I had to say was real and not the stuff on TV. Who knows how God will use our conversation, but I was grateful for yet another opportunity to glorify Christ by speaking His truth to the lost.

It's been a lovely day. I'm looking forward to this evening. I am getting more excited about school, and more confident that in God's present peace.

2 Comments:

At 8/12/2007 10:24 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I didn't realize how much time I spend talking to my mom about everything until I went to U of I. Every time I visited home, I'd have to plan almost an hour of unintentional talking time spent as I was walking out the door! And this summer has been extra special now that I know what its like being away from my family. Your distance from home will be much farther, but all the more wonderful and special it will be whenever you do get to visit home! God has an awesome plan for you that He'll be working out and I'm excited that He can do that for you in Grove City! You'll be with a unique family of believers, students, and peers there and I can tell you from my first year of experience--it'll be such a blessing! Have fun and God bless! I'll be praying for you!

 
At 8/19/2007 12:31 PM, Blogger erudil said...

I remember it was somewhat difficult when I first left for school, now two years ago. However, I soon learned to love being there. May God give you that peace and comfort in Grove City very soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home