Saturday, August 25

Where I'm At

Good evening, I am tired. We started the day with a sunrise worship service. It was good to go and join hearts in worship with the kids that I have been meeting. It was different than what I am used to, and I am wrestling with some of the issues that arose in my mind as I had my first encounter with the spiritual side of Grove City.

We had a girl lead us this morning. She basically shared testimony, and I think it was supposed to be like a sermon or devotional. She stressed the importance of time with God even when the school year gets hectic. I appreciated that point, but it made me uneasy when she spoke so often of the Holy Spirit leading her to do/say things. It's interesting because I just finished Acts for my quiet time and so the role of the Holy Spirit has been on my heart and mind lately. He is real, and He does work today in our lives, but what part does He play? How often do we hear Him, and what is His work. I also met a Pentecostal in Broad Ripple. She really challenged me on the importance of the Spirit. I agreed with her, but there is a difference in the way He works today, and the way He worked in the New Testament. She didn't understand that, and frankly, neither do I. The Bible doesn't speak about Him too often. It looks like this semester I am going to be dealing with these questions- concerning the third person of the Godhead. Any thoughts?

We obviously sang "spiritual songs" this morning. I don't know very many, but I sing when I can. I was overcome with how free these kids are with their emotions in worship. I think the the Reformed Presbyterian church has something to learn about the heart being totally engaged in worship. I think I am going to learn some of that here, but I think there are things that I can give to them as well.

On a brighter note, I went to the Schmidtbergers home this evening for a college planning meeting. It was great to finally meet some upperclassmen and get a feel for who I will be spending a lot of my time with. It was wonderful. I'm so thankful that God has provided these friends for me. He is amazing.

Tomorrow I am going to go to Rose Point RP church. I'm excited. I'm also a bit sad. Today someone asked me where went to church, and I answered, "well I used to go, I mean... my old church is..., I mean.... my home church is 2RP." *Sigh* Change is hard. I'm going to miss "my" church tomorrow.

Thanks for prayer and contact everyone. I love you all, and I am praying for you. Have a lovely day of worship.

2 Comments:

At 8/26/2007 6:17 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Well, one thing I do know is the Spirit is the one working directly with us. Prompting us to say certain things, guiding our hearts, reminding us to follow Christ and not the flesh. Recently, I have been going through some struggles and I've seen the Holy Spirit at work in me and in my friends. Everytime I've tried to go my own way, God refuses to let me go and the Spirit guides me back to Him. And one time, when my friend Erin was talking to me, her words were just what I needed to hear. She told me afterward she had asked God for the words and I'm fairly certain the Spirit did give her the words because she said just what I needed. That's what I think the Spirit does, moves us to follow Christ and gives us the words to spread the good news.

 
At 9/01/2007 12:52 AM, Blogger Robbie Schmidtberger said...

just ask and you shall receive :-) Thanks for your help tonight, and if you want to get together to chat (anytime) let me know and I am there.

see ya Lord's day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home