Monday, November 5

Abraham

On Saturday Lisa and I went to Wal-Mart to buy some presents for Abraham. I don’t know him, in fact I don’t know his name. I simply gave him one to be more personal. I don’t like saying, “I’m making a bracelet for my box.” I would rather say, “I’m making a bracelet for Abraham.” I chose the name Abraham because he was called out of a foreign land. He worshiped strange gods. He was a man of faith who loved God and obeyed even when the Gospel wasn’t entirely clear. God chose Abraham. God made him great. I am praying that in the same way God will call my little Abraham and raise him up to be a “father of nations”.
Operation Christmas Child is something I’ve done before. This year is a little different though. First, it’s basically a requirement in my Foundations of Education class to put a box together. Second, I love Abraham. He is 5-9 years old. That’s all I know. Wait, I know a little more. I know that God has preordained that he receive my box of gifts. I know that he will receive the Gospel, maybe for the first time when he is handed his box. I know that God hears my prayers for him, and I believe (though I don’t know) that Jesus is praying for him.

As I packed the toy cars and a bar of soap into the shoebox I imagined meeting him in Heaven. I don’t think I will get to meet him here on earth, but I’m praying for his salvation. I’m praying also that God will use him as a leader for His people. I’m praying that this young man will grow up to be a messenger of the Gospel. God knows. I will pray to the Lord of the Harvest.
I’m making Abraham a Wordless Book bracelet:
First a stripe of black representing the darkness of our hearts
Next red for Christ’s blood shed on our behalf.
White follows, because our hearts are washed clean by His love.
Blue is fourth (I think I added this one) it stands for the peace that we have in the Holy Spirit.
Green comes next, and it represents how we grow in faith as believers.
Finally yellow, or gold shows us the glory that we will enjoy forever with Him.

I am going to explain all of this in a letter to Abraham. I hope he wears the bracelet and is reminded of God’s goodness and his need for a Savior. Yellow is at the end, but it could also be at the beginning because it’s a continuing pattern. It would be important to emphasis God’s holiness when addressing our sin. Yes, yellow stands for God’s righteousness as well.

I wish I could explain it to him personally. I wish I could invite him over the play with my brothers and take him out for ice cream and ask him what he wants to do with his life. Little boys love ice cream, and it makes them not mind hard questions as much. At least that has been my experience.

I am sending him a picture, and a long letter. They say sometimes the children write back. That would be amazing. We shall leave it with the Lord.

I did buy Abraham and me matching coffee mugs. I don’t think that he will be drinking coffee yet, but I needed a $1.97 green coffee mug since I left mine at home, and I thought he would like to have his own cup with a lid on it as well. He can take it to school and it will keep his water cool. I thought it would be fun to match because that way when I drink coffee I will remember to pray for him. I also bought him a T-shirt. It’s probably too big, but I figure if he’s nine then it will fit, and if he’s five then he will have to grow into it. It’s amazing how wealthy we are in this country. If I gave a little boy these things in America he would find them rather boring. Abraham will be thrilled to receive toothbrush/toothpaste, candy, tennis balls, small toys, paper, crayons- among other things. I hope it shows him that I love him. I hope he realizes that I really am praying for him.

It’s exciting to serve an international God. He loves all kinds of people, and I don’t know where in the world Abraham is, but God knows. God is looking out for him. It’s exciting.
Ok, I’m going to get back to work.

5 Comments:

At 11/05/2007 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if he doesn't speak English and can't read your letter?

 
At 11/05/2007 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that too is in God's hands. I do not know what else one can do. We can only do what we are able and let God take care of the rest.

You have inspired me. I have book club tonight and I am going to try to get the ladies to each send a box. It is a good thing.

I love you.

P.S. I will pray for Abraham too.

 
At 11/05/2007 5:53 PM, Blogger Becca said...

They have to screen the contents of the boxes and in the process they translate the childrens letters into their language. They also provide them with Gospel booklets.

From the stories I've heard most of the time the picture/letter that the child receives is more valuable to them then all of the things because it shows them that someone loves them and makes the Gospel of love real.

Mom way to encourage others!

 
At 11/06/2007 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So then do they have a place for him to send a letter and they translate it and send it on to you. Or are we going to be getting you a dictionary in some foreign language the Lord picks for you to learn.. of course if it is Spanish it will be no problem...

The kids are working the polls today..don't you miss those days?

Mom

 
At 11/13/2007 12:02 AM, Blogger Charity said...

What a lovely way to send love. :) I hope Abraham writes you back. I always loved picking out stuff for Operation Christmas Child. We helped pack a bunch of boxes last year at the warehouse where they send out all the boxes because we are friends with some of the people who organize it here. It is such an exciting thing to take part in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home