Thursday, November 22

To Love with Open Hands

God wants me to learn is how to love with open hands. As soon as I snatch “my” blessings with a tight grip I am acting childish. Our first words are often “No! Mine.” God often get’s that from me a lot. He gives me everything and then instead of gratitude and submission I give Him attitude and complaining.

I am a selfish girl and it is easy for me to get way ahead of the game. I like to play God’s part. I like to figure out how it will all work. He needs to be the one in charge. I need to trust Him. He is all knowing, and I am not. I don’t know why it’s hard for me to put two and two together and trust Him. It is the most logical way. He is all good. I am not. Therefore He would be the one with the good plan. He is all powerful and I am not. Therefore, His plan will actually happen and mine will not. There is a reason why we are called sheep in the Bible. I have stupid tendencies.

On this Thanksgiving Day I have been pondering the importance of love. The word itself is hard to define in the English language. As soon as I think I have figured out what love is I find great holes in my understanding. Jesus knows what love is. He said that the greatest love is when a man lays down his life for His friend. Then He said we are His friends. Love is powerful. Jesus and the Father hold us in their hands, but see Jesus’ hands were always open to the Father. He was always speaking of the Father’s will. John 17 has a lot to say about love and the way that we are to love people within God’s plan for them. Jesus really loves us. He really loves the Father.

When I say that I am learning to love with open hands I mean that God is the one that actually holds people in His hands, and He sometimes lets me have a portion of His blessing (which is still in His grip). He will never let go. If I were to hold them with clenched fist… well I can’t because that is what God is doing. I have to hold my hands open before the Lord. It is His job to protect, guide, and deal with the people that we love. Yes, we. The Father and I love the same people. I have never thought about that before. The love I have is directly from Him. It is frustrating because my love is so imperfect compared to His. Oh that I would be more like Jesus. He came here to serve not be served, and to give His life. I hope that as I grow in the Lord I will be here to serve. I hope that I will be here to give my life.

My hands are open Lord. Please lead me. Please teach me. Please show me love. Lord break my selfish will and cause me to know to cry “Yes! Yours.”

1 Comments:

At 11/25/2007 6:09 PM, Blogger Charity said...

It is so encouraging to read your thoughts. I find it so hard at times to trust God with the people that I love. In a way, I find it a lot easier to trust Him with my life. That is not the way it is to be. I have been thinking a lot lately about how Jesus said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Not you should or even it is better...but it is more *blessed*. Our God will bless us through our giving of ourselves. He will give us the grace we need to serve, and He will continue to perfect us in His love. What a wonderful promise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home