Tuesday, January 24

inexpressable joy, and peace that surpasses understanding

It is helpful for me read the Bible out loud when I do my quiet time. I don’t do that very often, but last night the thought occurred to me to try it, and it is awesome.

I am reading through the Bible, so I got done with Matthew a few days ago and then last night I read through Mark chapters 4-5. As I read I was struck with the concept of Jesus Christ as a real historical man. It’s hard for me to always remember that He was real. When I talk with Him today He is real. I understand that, and yet somehow when I read the Bible I find myself thinking of Him as a far off saint who lived and died yes, but is somehow not the same God-Man who I talk with everyday. It’s wrong of me, and somehow reading His words aloud, helped me understand the reality of His life. Mark 5 tells the tale of the little girl who Jesus brought back to life. The text actually says:

“Taking her by the hand He said to her, “Talitha cumi,” which means, “Little girl, I say to you, arise.”
(verse 41)

Can you imagine the power in those gentle words?! It says that “they were immediately overcome with amazement.” She lived!

When the father had heard that the girl was dead Jesus said to him, “Do not fear, only believe.” I realized last night that those words were said to him, but written for me. Jesus says, "Rebekah, do not fear, only believe."

It's comforting to learn that I'm not the only one in the history of the man that doubts the very God I claim. It's encouraging to realize that the greatest of saints had their struggles too. Jesus had to say to His disciples: "'Why are you so afraid? Have you still noe faith?' And they were filled with a great fear and said to one another, "'Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?"'

There is so much to learn from the Bible. The more I learn the more I wish to learn, and the more I see I don’t understand. He has given us such a gift. The Bible is amazing. There is so much to reap from God’s wisdom. I only wish I would memorize it more, and spending every free moment pondering the concepts presented in it’s many pages.

Sometimes, I am going to read the Bible out loud. It helps me focus better. Somehow hearing the words helps me understand them in a different way.

2 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 7:48 PM, Blogger Jen said...

AMEN!
Thanks for sharing what you are learning. I to needed to be reminded to not fear and just keep on believing.
Love you!
Blessings on you!

 
At 1/25/2006 6:47 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I agree, the Bible is truely amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home