Wednesday, February 27

Compassion


I walked into my Spanish Professor’s office with a bit of fear and trepidation. I knew that I didn’t do well on the last exam and she had asked me to come and talk with her. After going over the test and making a list of the things I need to master she asked if we could pray together. As we came before the throne of grace I was overwhelmed with her words of compassion. She kindly expressed to the Father that I was struggling and on my behalf she asked Him for help. I walked out of her office with a smile and a thankful heart.
I’ve had a few such experiences lately. The people of God have a powerful tool which brings a healing touch to the aching heart. When compassion is sincerely expressed it breaks down walls and lightens the load of this world.


Moms are especially good at compassion, but we should all try to master the second greatest commandment. Jesus looked on the crowds with compassion and we should follow in His steps. I have known for a long time that it’s good to love people and to be concerned for them. Paul says to “rejoice with those who rejoice, and to weep with those who weep.” I had forgotten how powerful it is to have someone look into my eyes with understanding, to speak words with tenderness, or to wrap me tight in a "I'm here for you" hug.


If you’re a Christian I call you to first of all enjoy the compassion that God has so graciously bestowed upon us through His Son. Secondly, be quick to show it to those in your path. The world is full of hurting people and we need to use the power of love to reveal Christ to those who need Him.

2 Comments:

At 2/28/2008 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord for professors who know how to challenge and comfort at the same time.

It has been good to talk with you the last few days but nothing beats face to face communication.

Know that I love you and I am bringing you daily to the throne in petition for the Lord to lead you in His path of righteous. Waiting is hard but God uses it. Sometimes I wonder about Jesus going 30 years without starting his ministry. How hard that must have been. 30 years here on earth as a man waiting on God. Knowing the plan but waiting for it to unfold.

Keep giving all over to the Lord. Know He is wanting you to be content in Him. Wait for His plan, when it comes it will be just right for you.

Love, Mom

 
At 3/01/2008 7:57 PM, Blogger Monica said...

Wow, what a great reminder. I have a few people (shorter than me) who could use some of that face to face prayer and encouragement.

Keep going, Rebekah. God wants you to learn Spanish, but He's also teaching you some other really important things, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home